24 June 2010

East Texas Red

As I mentioned previously in my last post, I recently went to East Texas. It was good to see my parents again, and of course, Holly Dog loves to go out to the "farm" and play endlessly with Millie--my parents' chocolate lab.

This year, my parents have finally been able to put in a garden.  When I was younger, my parents always had a garden when we lived in Longview.  It was a pretty large garden, usually with corn, cucumbers, jalapenos, and of course, tomatoes.  You cannot have a garden and not have tomatoes growing in it.  It is a must.  Well now, they have a massive garden with lettuce, cantaloupe, squash, zucchini, strawberries, corn, watermelon, peppers, and of course, tomatoes.  When I told my mother in law about my parents' garden this year and that we would be visiting soon, she told me one important thing before we left, "...AND DON'T FORGET ABOUT MY TOMATOES!"  well, and she did remind us to be safe, because that is what mothers do, and even though she'll tell you she's not my mother, she is still my husband's, and my friend as well; so of course she will tell us to be careful----no matter how old we get. 

Back to tomatoes though. East Texas tomatoes are incredible.  They are all a deep, meaty red and full of flavor. They are downright, better than any other tomato I have ever tasted.  Slice them up, add some salt and a good bit of pepper, and they are delicious.  Be careful though, if you eat too many---your mouth may react to all that acid.  But they are ohhhhhhh so good!
Tonight, I made a great bacon and tomato sandwich.  But before I butchered a beautiful East Texas tomato, I had to give it a little "photo shoot." haha!
From Blogger Pictures

From Blogger Pictures

See how red and meaty these things are?? YUM!!
From Blogger Pictures

2 comments:

  1. I'll fry up some bacon and be right over for a BLT. YUM. Check out the new pictures on my blog when you have a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Come right on over!
    I did see your picture! :)

    ReplyDelete